Presentation prepared for the Conference on Growing Forward in a Volatile Environment January, 2012, Ottawa.
Outline of presentation:
- Some useful principles about variability and the role of government in agriculture
- Trends in variability of production, prices, and revenue for major commodities
- Current U.S. farm “safety net” programs
- Trends in overall costs and participation rates for insurance in the U.S.
- Recent U.S. policy proposals to deal with variability
- Final Remarks
See PDF presentation here: Regulatory and Subsidy Responses to Variability in North American Agriculture