AIC Director Dan Sumner’s presentation for the California Ag Summit. January 27, 2012.
Outline and Main Points:
- GOAL OF THIS TALK: SET THE STAGE FOR THE PRESENTATIONS AND DISCUSSION TO FOLLOW.
- California agriculture is large, diverse and integrated with world markets
- Over many decades real commodity prices have declined, but recent increases may signal are reversal for global commodities and many “California” crops
- Major questions: will the supply/demand balance return to the trend of lower real prices, which allows better diets for the world poor? What challenges face production agriculture here and globally?
- Asking where agriculture is heading requires considering forces driving both the supply side and the demand side.
See PDF presentation here: California Agriculture and Global Challenges: Resources, Prices and Prospects 2012